Monday, December 14, 2009

Ice Cream


From my poll... about 3 months ago, my one voter said they wanted me to talk about ice cream as a topic.

So I'll do just that - and I'll enjoy it as it is SWELTERING here at work. I need to remember to buy a cheap little USB powered fan so I don't fall asleep.

The History of Ice Cream
The origins of ice cream can be traced back to at least the 4th century B.C. Early references include the Roman emperor Nero (A.D. 37-68) who ordered ice to be brought from the mountains and combined with fruit toppings, and King Tang (A.D. 618-97) of Shang, China who had a method of creating ice and milk concoctions. Ice cream was likely brought from China back to Europe. Over time, recipes for ices, sherbets, and milk ices evolved and served in the fashionable Italian and French royal courts. (from about.com)


Baskin-Robbins
This was and still is one of my favorite ice cream places. Read a bit about them:

"It wasn’t until 1953 that the ice cream chain dropped the separate identities of Snowbird and Burton's and became Baskin-Robbins. A local advertising agency, Carson/Roberts, advised a uniform identity and image under the name Baskin-Robbins 31 Ice Cream. Their recommendations included the "31®" logo to represent a flavor for every day of the month, Cherry (pink) and Chocolate (brown) polka dots to be reminiscent of clowns, carnivals and fun and lastly, the use of cartoons to bring their flavors alive with personality to graphically highlight the name and delicious ingredients. With this over-arching branding, Baskin-Robbins' iconic pink spoons were created with the belief that people should be able to try any of their many flavors without cost." (baskinrobbins.com)


Flavors
There are hundreds of ice cream flavors - and even ones you can create yourself. The top 15 ice cream flavors are:

1. Vanilla - 29%
2. Chocolate - 8.9%
3. Butter Pecan - 5.3%
4. Strawberry - 5.3%
5. Neapolitan - 4.2%
6. Chocolate Chip - 3.9%
7. French Vanilla - 3.8%
8. Cookies and Cream - 3.6%
9. Vanilla Fudge - 2.6%
10. Praline Pecan - 1.7%
11. Cherry - 1.6%
12. Chocolate Almond - 1.6%
13. Coffee - 1.6%
14. Rocky Road - 1.5%
15. Chocolate Marshmallow - 1.3%

All others - 23.7%
(Source - International Ice Cream Assocation, 888 16th St., Washington, D.C., 20006)


My favorite flavor of ice cream is Mint Chocolate Chip. There is nothing better than two scoops of MCC in a waffle cone on a hot day. MMMM! I like other flavors, but my default when i doubt is MCC. The big runner up is Coldstones Strawberry flavor with mini chocolate chips mixed in. That is also super refreshing on a hot (even cold) day! I used to not like ColdStone, but since I found this flavor mix, I've enjoyed it much more!

What's my beef?
The fact that all the fat free/sugar free/better for your ones never taste good. I love ice cream, but hate what it does to me. Boo that. I think someone should invent an ice cream that is good for you, but also tastes amazing. What's up with all these acai berry commercials - why not make that flavor, and throw in dark chocolate chunks. It's an anti-oxident lover's dream! I'm just throwing out ideas here.

What else can I say about ice cream? I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment