Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Dangers of Texting

So I'm sure your mind went straight to "Don't Text and Drive." Yes. We all know that one. But I'm talking about real dangers of texting. The dangers that lurk deep in the shadows. The dangers that only come out when in a public place. Ok - I'm talking about the dangers the teeny boppers face from me while I'm in a public place and they are walking and texting and running into things and me and my friends and have the audacity to get angry at ME. Yes. Those dangers.

While at Cedar Point this past Tuesday (yay!) I had to submerge myself into the world of all age ranges yet again. This doesn't happen often, as I was recently in College, and everyone there is the same age, now I'm working, and everyone is around the same age (minus me and 2 other people :D), but when I go to amusement parks, the movies, a festival, etc, I am exposed to the entire range of homo-sapiens. Yes. From newborns, to 30 year-olds, to the elderly. And the only age group that gets on my nerves 100% of the time? Yes you guessed it -- the tweens and teens. I don't remember being so obnoxious when I was that age. Maybe I was, but I know for a fact that I didn't dress, text, or be so blatantly rude. No I was scared of older people. My parents could ground me, my grandma could spank me, and my sister could beat me up. No I respected those who had been on this earth longer than me.

So anyway, back to the texting. While walking around, I don't think I could go a foot without seeing some teenage girl walking blindly with her group of friends and texting on her QWERTY keyboard. Now I'm all for texting if you need to get a quick message to someone, or are somewhere you can't use your phone, but if you are with all your friends, and your parents, and your cousins, and your boyfriend, and your dog, who else do you need to text?! Oh yes, Text L-O-V-E to 69691 to find out if you and your boyfriend were destined to be together. Only $999.99 a text! UGH.

After getting thoroughly annoyed at being bumped into by these thumb crampers, my boyfriend said "we should just hit the phones out of their hands when we see them." Heaven forbid their phone is detached from their limbs. While the thought of smashing their phones on the hard concrete did enthrall me, I didn't want to be hit with the teenage verbal venom that would follow. So I'd just dream about it and hope when I had kids they wouldn't be this way... man oh man.

Well, throughout the day, I got less and less concerned with the walking texter teen. Which was good because they seemed to multiply! It wasn't until we were back at the hotel in the hot tub did another flame of fury creep up inside of me. We were chilling relaxing in the hot tub, after a long day of walking around, only to be bombarded by 15+ teeny-boppers, all with cell phones, because common, if you are 2 years old without a cell phone you're a total loser!; Well they decide to get into the hot tub ... WITH THEIR CELL PHONES. Like come on! How dumb do you get?! I wanted one of them to drop it soooo bad. But we left before they did. Which was good because my teenager quota had been met for the day.

I guess the moral of this post was:

A) to vent about teenagers and
B) to PRAY that my kids don't turn out this way.

3 comments:

  1. yeah stupid teens and their texting!
    they should be limitied to 70 texts a week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha....be very afraid of your sister who could beat you up!!! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always laugh when I see someone under the age of 15 with a cell phone. It's completely unnecessary, but I guess if their parents have money to waste, why not right?

    ReplyDelete